Philosophy. Naturopathic physicians are guided by six principles:
- First, do no harm.
- Healing power of nature: support every person’s inherent ability to heal
- Identify and treat the cause: diagnose accurately and completely
- Treat the whole person: consider physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and environmental attributes of a person’s health
- Doctor as teacher: build partnerships with patients who understand their health
- Prevention: work with an intention of life-long wellness
Training and treatment. Naturopathic physicians are trained as primary care doctors with 4-year programs at accredited schools, board exams, and state licensing. They receive specialized training in the following treatment categories:
- nutrition and diet
- counseling and stress management
- physical medicine
- botanical medicine
Individualized plans. Your ND will provide a personalized treatment plan that accounts for your specific situation.